Part 1 of a 3-part blog series
Blogging is one of the best things you can do for your mom-owned business. A blog lends context and roots to your company by giving you the opportunity to tell your start-up story and connect to your readers both as a person and as a brand. Blogging also can create value for your readers in the form of entertainment or useful information (or better yet, a bit of both!). Whether your business is based on providing a service or product, a blog is integral to building your brand and establishing your credibility.
A few more of the many reasons why you should start a blog NOW:
- Drives traffic to your website
- Gives you something fresh to talk about on social media
- Increases your search engine rankings which keeps your website higher on the list of search results (SEO/SERP)
- Positions your brand as an industry leader
- Develops better customer relationships
- Establishes you as an expert in your field
- Gives you a creative outlet
- Here are 15 more great reasons in case you need more convincing 🙂
Some of the questions you might ask yourself as you begin exploring your blogging options:
- What’s the purpose of this blog?
- Will it be a part of your company’s larger website or will it be standalone?
- Who is your target reader? Create a profile of her (or him) and be as specific as possible (name, age, income, where they shop, etc)
- What is your reader’s preferred media type? Text, video, graphics? Keep this in mind when thinking of how you want to set up your blog. Video blogs (vblogs) are becoming increasingly common and it’s worth considering an integration of text, pictures, & video.
Deciding where you want to go will help keep you focused as you go through the process and will make it easier to make all the decisions that lay in front of you. Speaking of focus, one of the biggest challenges with blogging is how to hone in on specific topics to write about. Here’s a quick exercise to help with this (thanks to Nectar Collective for these ideas):
- What do you really want to write about? Handwrite a list of topics that are truly interesting to you. Some examples: sharing your life experiences as a mompreneur, balancing business and family, active parenting, gardening, supporting local businesses, and building community. It can be anything.
- Then put your list of topics into similar groups. Look for ways some of your topics connect and combine them into 3-5 mini groups.
- Think of an umbrella category for each group – one word that encompasses all that’s easy for your readers to understand. Some of my categories are Business Tips, Finding Family/Life Balance, and Gluten Free Living.
- Although you probably won’t be blogging about ALL of those topics on one blog, having all of them mapped out allows you to begin building your blog topic structure. When you are short on ideas, you can always come back to your list.
Answering all of these questions will help lay the foundation for the next steps in creating your blog:
- Choosing your preferred blogging platform
- Choosing whether you want to self-host and a paid domain or a free blog
- Finding a domain name
- Designing your blog
We’ll cover all of this and more in the next post – Blogging 101 for Mompreneurs: The “HOW.” Thanks for reading!