Creating your own culture of creativity can help you in all stages of starting and running a business, from generating business ideas to staying inspired and motivated. I took a great business course in college called Creativity and Innovation. The professor, a woman and mom I greatly admire, presented us with a variety of case studies that illustrate how companies gain a leading edge over their competition by establishing a “culture of creativity.”
Learn to think more creatively right now with these 5 techniques:
1. Idea Quota – Commit to writing down at least 5 (or more) new ideas per day. Think of it like exercise for your brain. It should only take a couple minutes.
2. Dukes of Habit – Change up your daily routine to spark thoughts. This can be as simple as taking a different route when dropping the kids off at school or going for a walk through a park where you’ve never been.
3. Brainbanks – Keep a box, notebook, or file on your computer dedicated to storing other people’s ideas, quotes, and inspirations. Make a “withdrawl” when you’re feeling low on ideas or motivation.
4. Record your ideas – Write them down or you WILL forget!
5. Power of Intention – Consciously try to make your thinking more fluent and flexible. Put yourself in the shoes of your target customers, question your assumptions, and don’t be afraid to be silly!